Annual Report 2009
During the 2008/09 year, the Independent Police Conduct Authority continued its strong progress as an organisation dedicated to truly independent oversight of New Zealand Police.
Key achievements for the year included:
- independent investigation of more than 200 incidents including those in which Police actions have contributed to death or serious bodily harm;
- dramatic reduction in the number of complaints that are 12 months or older – from 211 at the beginning of the budget year to 30 at year’s end;
- enhanced responsiveness to complainants, including through the establishment of a new Complaints Management Team;
- implementation of a priority framework to ensure that complaints are dealt with in an appropriate and timely manner;
- enhanced transparency, through a significant increase in the number of public reports and establishment of a new website;
- secondment of Authority investigators to Kenya and East Timor, to help build capacity in oversight of Police in those countries.
Read the Authority's Annual Report for the Year to 30 June 2009 (PDF, 1.74MB)