Why Police oversight matters
Read about why independent oversight matters even in a country like New Zealand where the Police are committed to high standards of conduct.
Effective, efficient Policing services are the cornerstone of a free and democratic society. Independent oversight provides assurance for both the public and Police that allegations of misconduct or neglect of duty are properly dealt with.
- protects citizens against abuse of those powers, including excessive force
- exposes misconduct
- improves Police practice and policy
- provides public accountability
- encourages discipline within the Police
- protects against corruption
- protects against politicisation of the Police
- enhances public trust and confidence in the justice system and
- contributes towards the justice sector outcomes of a safe and just society.