Home Contact Us

We are the only NZ Police oversight body

We are not part of the NZ Police

Under law we are fully independent

If you have a complaint about the NZ Police, you can come to us

Mana Whanonga Pirihimana Motuhake

What you can complain about

Find out what you can complain about and what we don't do.

What you can complain about

  • Police misconduct
  • Police not doing their duty or not doing it properly
  • Police practices, policies and procedures.

This can include but is not limited to:

  • unreasonable force
  • dishonesty
  • perjury - making false statements under oath
  • threats or harassment
  • unlawful arrest
  • failure to respond to or investigate an offence or to prosecute someone
  • failure to return property seized by Police during an investigation when it is no longer part of a Police exhibit
  • unprofessional behaviour.

For more information regarding Police conduct view the NZ Police Professional Conduct glossary.

What we don't do

  • We don't provide legal advice.
  • We can't award compensation.
  • We're not an emergency response service.
  • We can't act as a spokesperson on your behalf.
  • We don't process requests for Police documents.
  • We don't consider complaints that contest traffic infringement notices. You should contact the Police Infringement Bureau about this on 0800 105 777 from a landline, 04 381 0000 from a mobile or email them at ticket@police.govt.nz.
We don't have the power to lay criminal charges or to take disciplinary action against Police.

If you don't want to make a formal complaint but want to discuss a concern with the Police, you can contact them directly or submit feedback using the NZ Police Expression of Dissatisfaction form.
MoST Content Management V3.0.7525